Mark A Ivener, A Law Corporation

DHS Converting Checks Into Electronic Transfers for I-765

The Department of Homeland Security is now converting funds from checks into electronic funds transfers for the Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765). Checks should be made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” The DHS notes in the instructions to the form that “[y]ou will not receive your original check back. We will destroy your original check, but we will keep a copy of it. If the EFT [electronic funds transfer] cannot be processed for technical reasons, you authorize us to process the copy in place of your original check. If the EFT cannot be completed because of insufficient funds, we may try to make the transfer up to two times.” In the past, sources noted, the receipt number could be retrieved from the cancelled check to track the application if the receipt got lost in the mail.

Share this Article

About the Author

Mark A. Ivener, A Law Corporation, a nationally recognized law firm, has successfully assisted hundreds of clients in immigration matters.