Mark A Ivener, A Law Corporation

Potomac Service Center Now Processing Certain I-765 Cases, Issues Guidance on Correcting Errors

On March 1, 2016, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) began transferring certain cases to the Potomac Service Center (PSC) from other service centers to balance workloads. The affected casework includes Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, filed by F-1 and M-1 students seeking Optional Practical Training (OPT) and J-1 dependents. 

If USCIS transfers a case, the agency will send the applicant a transfer notice. The original receipt number will not change and the transfer will not delay processing, USCIS said. 

Also, the filing location and instructions for these forms are not changing. USCIS is instructing applicants to continue to file the forms at the address listed under “Where to File” in the I-765 instructions. 

How to correct errors. If an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card was approved by the PSC and contains incorrect information that the applicant believes is due to USCIS error, the applicant should submit a letter that explains the error, and include the EAD card containing the incorrect information, documents showing that USCIS made an error (such as a copy of the application sent to USCIS with the correct information, and a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate with the correct name). The letter and supporting documents should be sent to the Nebraska Service Center: 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Nebraska Service Center ATTN CCS Unit P.O. Box 82521 Lincoln, NE 68501-2521 

USCIS asks that individuals not send the letter and card to the PSC. “If USCIS made an error, you do not need to submit a new Form I-765 or pay a new filing fee,” USCIS noted. 

Share this Article

About the Author

Mark A. Ivener, A Law Corporation, a nationally recognized law firm, has successfully assisted hundreds of clients in immigration matters.